$500 Winter Rec-Fest 2015 Medallion Hunt

Moderator: Admin

Dave

$500 Winter Rec-Fest 2015 Medallion Hunt

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:20 pm

ATTENTION all Medallion Hunt lovers

The $500 Winter Rec-Fest 2015 Medallion Hunt for the La Crosse area is quickly approaching. In fact, the 1st clue will be posted on Wed., Jan. 14, 2015 on the official site.

$500 Winter Rec-Fest 2015 Medallion Hunt Home Page

2015 Medallion Hunt Rules and Regulations Page

2015 Medallion Hunt Clues Page

Dave

Re: $500 Winter Rec-Fest 2015 Medallion Hunt

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:05 am

2015 Medallion Hunt Rules and Regulations Page

Medallion Hunt Rules and Regulations
Clues will be announced daily beginning Wed., Jan. 14, 2015 on our website at 12:00AM each day; on radio stations 94.7, 95.7, Z93, WKTY, WIZM, and KQ98; and on TV station WXOW TV19.

Buttons
Purchase a $2.00 Winter Rec-Fest button before Wed., Jan. 14, 2015 at the Parks and Recreation Office (City Hall, 1st Floor). The first clue will be given on Wed., Jan. 14, 2015.

Prizes
By purchasing a Winter Rec-Fest button, you are eligible to win $500, a Winter Rec-Fest shirt, and a plaque if you find the Medallion. Note: If you find the Medallion without a button, you will receive $50 cash, a Winter Rec-Fest shirt, and a plaque.

Rules
If you find the Medallion, return it to the Parks and Recreation Department,
Mon. - Fri., 8:30AM - 5:00PM to claim your prizes.

Acting agents of the La Crosse Parks and Recreation Department are not eligible.

The Medallion will not be found on private property and will not require climbing
If you have any questions regarding the hunt, please us at call (608) 789-7533.

Winners may be utilized for media purposes.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:13 am

Clue 1:
La Crosse's first medallion hunt of 2015
And Winter Rec Fest has the honor to host.
Hope you're able to fill in the blanks.
If so, you'll be able to boast.

My take on Clue 1: And we are off on another Medallion Hunt. Join us in interpreting the clues. And tell your friends about us and our forum. Last year the Winter Rec Fest hunt went to 9 clues. Here's hoping this year's will be likewise...long...

Not getting a lot of vibes so far, but I'll give it a shot.

Don't be so quick to dismiss '2015' in line 1. Part or all of it could be on the side of a historic building or an address. 'first' could refer to a street or a bank or a sign. 'honor' could be hinting at anyone with a title in front of their name, like the honorable judge or honorable mayor. 'host' could be pointing to a hotel or motel or bread and breakfast of even the Civic Center. 'blanks' could be directing one to guns or a firing range or a police training area or a military training area or a sperm bank. 'boast' could reference a sporting event or playing field or a cheerleading crew.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:20 am

Clue 1:

Clue 2:
A field used in a traditional season
And trees, but not overwhelming and thick.
There are places to sit..in fact quite a few.
But which spot? You see that's the trick.

My take on Clue 2: round 2...are we having fun yet? Looks like the weatherman is cooperating with warmer temps at least through this weekend...now on with the show...

'field' probably means a ball field, but it could also be referring to a farm field...yes, even in the La Crosse city limits. Now what does 'traditional season' mean?

Line 2 reference to 'trees' is obvious.

'places to sit' likely just confirms a ball field...but there are so many in town that that clue doesn't tell you where to start looking...pay attention to later clues and the place to start looking may look clearer.

Line 4's 'that's the trick' is a bugger of a hint...trick may be pointing us Medallion hunters in a certain direction...what sport or outdoor activity talks about 'tricks'? Oh, for those whose mind is in the gutter, it doesn't mean a local House of Prostitution, wherever that may be...I plead innocence with that one... :oops:

'spot' could be a football reference...such as the referee spotting the ball after a play...could this be a subtle way to get us to thinking about the Packers and their run in the playoffs going on these next few weeks? How did the clue meister know they would be in the playoffs? Check the UW-L area around the football field, and perhaps start to look at Swanson Field where the Logan Rangers play...both areas are public land.

Oh, 'trick' could be referring to a trick football play that good coaches like to use to get an advantage over their opponent...

Or trick could be leading us to a Halloween reference...I know that is remote, but the creative juices are running all over my keyboard...I'll need a towel to wipe em up...

Or trick could be suggesting a card game location, such as a senior citizen building or a bar...Katy bar the door on this one...

'spot' could also be pointing at a dog...re: dog groomer, vet, or a dog park, of which there are at least one in the city limits...

Some thoughts on 'traditional season'...could mean a seasonal holiday...could mean playoff or tournament sports events which go beyond the regular season...could be referring to fishing or hunting extra ordinary season beyond the normal season...again pay attention to obscure sounding clues as more clues are revealed...and put 2 and 2 together, as the olde saw goes.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:19 am

Clue 1:

Clue 2:

Clue 3:
A magical wand and abracadabra.
The association might be clear.
Now find 40,000 pounds of something...
The application will bring you near.

My take on Clue 3: a very good clue...now on to trying to get inside the mind of the clue meister...

Line 1 seems to be leading us to a magic trick or a metaphor for a magic trick. Could the 'association' be someone's name that has a meaning that would point toward magic?

'40,000 pounds' is 20 tons...a lot of concrete or stones from the bluffs...could it be the approximate weight of the new UW-L bleachers?

Don't know what line 4's 'application' is referring to...but stay tuned...a brain storm may erupt anytime...

Application could be talking about resurfacing the stadium or the track field or a parking lot near the UW-L stadium.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:19 am

I don't usually try to put only the 1st 3 clues together, but I will stick my neck out and suggest the hunt for the medallion begin near the UW-L football stadium and branch out. 'field' from clue 2 coincides with Memorial Field. 'honor to host' from clue 1, could mean Memorial Field hosts lots of sporting events. 'blanks' from clue 1 could be referencing the blanks that the starters use in their guns to direct all track events to commence. I can't locate how much the new UW-L football stadium weighs, but '20,000 lbs' from clue 3, would be a good approximation.

'honor' back in clue 1 could also be referring to Veterans because the UW-L field and stadium is called Veteran's Memorial Field in honor of all military active and retired. There is also a Veterans' Hall of Honor at the aforementioned stadium.

Here is a reach, but one never knows..the football stadium also has the name of the former football Hall of Fame coach attached to it, to wit: Roger Harring. Harring could make one think of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, also called a hare, after waving a wand and saying abracadabra as line 1 of clue 3 talks about...

And Roger could be translated into a movie reference called Roger Rabbit...obscure, but weirder clue interpretations in the past have led to the Medallion, so no hissing from the poop deck just yet...

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:41 am

Clue 1:

Clue 2:

Clue 3:

Clue 4:
Not within La Crosse's limits in early days.
Now citizens and visitors are here.
Think of a place where Peyton plays
And something big, moving and blue once a year.

My take on Clue 4: intriguing clue...let me see...

'Peyton', Manning plays on a football field or gridiron.

Line 1, many in the city locations were once not a part of, or in the city limits. This could include the airport and the UW-La Crosse sports complex.

'citizens and visitors' could be coming into town via train, bus, car, plane...

Line 4 is a puzzler of a clue. 'big, moving and blue once a year' ? What trips me up is the 'once a year' part...could it be the Blue Stars drum and bugle corps, who have their own show here in town once a year?...Or how about the Blue Angels here once a year?...Or is the clue meister leading us to the Super Bowl which only happens once a year and has a blimp overhead during the game? Is that blimp blue?

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 am

Clue 1:

Clue 2:

Clue 3:

Clue 4:

Clue 5:
Classrooms and churches offer blues this year
And forget about any middle ground.
Hunt the edges to be successful...
With a reference to the state of Maine to be found.

My take on Clue 5: when time allows...

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:37 pm

ATTENTION ALL: No time to post all my interpretations of the last 3 clues...been busy out hunting for that elusive medallion...I expect to find it by tomorrow...stay tuned...

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:02 am

Clue 1:

Clue 2:

Clue 3:

Clue 4:

Clue 5:
Classrooms and churches offer blues this year
And forget about any middle ground.
Hunt the edges to be successful...
With a reference to the state of Maine to be found.

Clue 6:
Where judge's gavels pounded in our community past.
The tie-in plain to see.
There are hydrants and places to park
And words you can't say on TV.

My take on Clue 6: as often happens with these Medallion hunts, it is time to regroup...more later...stay tuned...

Return to “Contests/Medallion Hunts”