$500 Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt 2018

Moderator: Admin

Dave

$500 Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt 2018

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Well Medallion Hunt lovers, another Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt is only a few days away...The rules are similar to past years and are listed below. The link to the rules is at the bottom of this post...Good luck all...

I need to mention that I have moved out of the La Crosse area (to a small town in South East South Dakota called Jefferson), so I cannot look for the elusive Medallion as in past years...but I can still post my best guesses as to the meanings of each clue...so come back to this thread/topic often to see what I, and possibly other Medallion Hunt lovers are thinking...

MEDALLION HUNT

Coulee region “sleuths” will have their opportunity to match wits with the “cluemaster” as the 2018 Oktoberfest USA Medallion Hunt begins Monday, September 17.

The Oktoberfest USA Medallion Hunt is sponsored by Altra Federal Credit Union .

One clue per day will be issued starting September 17. Clues will be posted on the Oktoberfest USA web site at approximately 6 a.m. each day. Ten clues have been prepared and will be shared in order until the medallion is found or all ten are used (whichever comes first).

Prizes awaiting the person finding the medallion include: $500 cash, and a miniature replica medallion, compliments of Satori Arts.

The back side of the medallion includes a contact name and number to report that it has been found.

Medallion Hunt rules are similar to previous years.

The 2018 Oktoberfest Medallion rules:

Is always located within the La Crosse city limits
Is never buried in the ground
Is always on public property
Is accessible 24 hours, but posted hours should be observed
Fits in the palm of a hand
May be camouflaged

Oktoberfest USA requests that all medallion hunters respect public and private property (as well as their fellow hunters) while trying to locate the medallion. Good luck.

2018 Oktoberfest $500 Medallion Hunt Page/Clues:

Dave

Re: $500 Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt 2018

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:58 am

Clue #1 — Monday, Sept. 17, 2018

The hunt for 2018 is underway.
The shoes point to a walking path.
The medallion is hidden in a picturesque area.

My take on Clue 1:

WXOW.com 2018 Oktoberfest $500 Medallion Hunt Clues:
Last edited by Dave on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:02 am

Clue #2 — Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018

Park planner John Nolan’s efforts,
along with those by four men on the park board,
point to a park,
hinting toward Grandad Bluff..

My take on Clue 2:

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 am

Clue #3 — Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018

William P. Roellig, who worked at Allis Chalmers,
started his own machinery making business, La Crosse Plow Co., and also served on the city council.
In 1951 the city named a triangular green space at the intersection of Hwy. 16 and La Crosse Street for him.
The medallion is near this area of the city.

My take on Clue 3:

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 am

This Medallion Hunt this year is a joke. It is obvious that the Oktoberfest 2018 Medallion is in (or near) Roellig Park.

Oh, this year the Medallion clue writer was both lazy and incompetent, to be as kind as I can be...which is not easy, since I have often praised past Medallion Hunt clue meisters.

The current clue writer went back to the 2011 and 2013 Hunts and lifted parts of clues and meaning of clues and put them into this year's clues...as I said above, this is a joke, right???

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 pm

https://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/ ... e-breaking

BREAKING NEWS
Oktoberfest medallion is found
Tribune Staff

A father-son team found the Oktoberfest medallion today in honor of their late wife and mother.

Michael Kirschbaum Sr. and Michael Kirschbaum Jr. went in search of the Altra Federal Credit Union medallion as a part of a family tradition that started with early mornings before school and nights after school in which Michael Jr. would set out in search of the treasured medallion with his mother, Bridget.

Bridget died in November 2017, and the family vowed to continue the tradition in her honor. The clues for 2018 were indeed, a bit easier than they had been in previous years.

Through an internal error, the clues were posted in order of explanation instead of rhyme.

"We had a feeling something was different, but it just seemed as if it meant to be," Michael Sr. stated. Bridget "was with us this year and made sure we found it together."

Oktoberfest USA, which will release more details and introduce the winners later, apologized to the many medallion hunt sleuths for the nature of the hunt this year. The hunt will return to the mysterious rhyming clues in 2019, fest organizers said.

Totally unacceptable decision after an internal snafu.

Hunt should have been stopped and the clues and location should have been changed, and then the Hunt should have been restarted...or better yet, run the 2019 one next year with a $1000 prize...

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:22 pm

NOTE: To obtain the 10 clues and their meanings, I had to write an email to the Oktoberfest folks. They were kind enough to answer back promptly.

(Medallion was found after clue # 3 )

Clue 1 – Monday, Sept. 17, 2018

Grab your shoes and hat — get ready to toast,

It’s that time of year for Polka, Pretzels & Prost!

Stop, look and listen for signs of fall,

The medallion hunt is ready for all.

Clue 2 – Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018

Landscape architect John Nolan worked the plan,

Predicting it would become the best among man;

The four men of public spirit and great ability,

Saw that there would be funding for each and every tree.

Clue 3 – Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018

A farm machinery background he had,

Then started his own implement fad;

For more than four decades held an alderman’s seat;

In the ’50s given his own area not so discreet.

Clue 4 – Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018

The perfect mode between steamers and planes,

Only two main lines is all that remains;

The downtown stop that eventually moved from the west,

Streamlined for beauty and comfort making it the best.

Clue 5 – Friday, Sept. 21, 2018

A gas can, two college students and a bunch of brush,

Up the hill they went and started a blaze in a rush;

Over the years the fire snuffed out but still burns bright,

Moved south and still welcomes students at night.

Clue 6 – Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018

One of the biggest icons for the city,

No matter the season it’s seen as pretty;

Chipped away, people worried it would be eventually gone,

Gifted to the public it soon gained local lexicon.

Clue 7 – Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018

Roots dating way back to the century mark,

Helped many early local sports enthusiasts embark;

The country scene reigned for a very long time,

Later enlarged once it became in the public’s prime.

Clue 8 – Monday, Sept. 24, 2018

A lumbering waterfowl along the way,

Keep the skiers, skaters and shoe-ers at bay;

A patriotic spirit will help in the search,

Stay the course and don’t get left in a lurch.

Clue 9 — Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018

An attorney could assist you on the path,

Follow words of wisdom to keep you from wrath;

Another spot can keep you hot on the trail,

Stay in between and you won’t suffer betrayal.

Clue 10 — Wednesday, Sept. 26, 2018

You’ve come this far and where can it be,

Look carefully searching tree after tree;

Q, R, S, T, U, W, X, Y, Z,

Find the missing letter and there she’ll be.

MEANING OF EACH CLUE:

Clue 1

The hunt for 2018 is underway. The shoes point to a walking path. The medallion is hidden in a picturesque area.

Clue 2

Park planner John Nolan’s efforts, along with those by four men on the park board, point to a park, hinting toward Grandad Bluff.

Clue 3

William P. Roellig, who worked at Allis Chalmers, started his own machinery making business, La Crosse Plow Co., and also served on the city council. In 1951 the city named a triangular green space at the intersection of Hwy. 16 and La Crosse Street for him. The medallion is near this area of the city.

Clue 4

Trains are referenced, with more fine-tuning to the area on the western edge of Forest Hills Golf Course where the train depot for Burlington Northern used to stand.

Clue 5

The “Lighting of the ‘L’” tradition at UW-La Crosse started in fall 1935 when Class of 1937 roommates F. Clark Carnes and Bernie Brown ran up Miller’s Bluff and ignited a large brush pile in the shape of an “L.” The tradition has lived on over the years with a lighted “L” shinning on Grandad Bluff, originally during the university’s Homecoming and now when students return to campus in the fall. These two bluffs are in the direction when the medallion is hidden.

Clue 6

Grandad Bluff, saved from limestone quarrying by Ellen Hixon who purchased the land, remains the city’s main icon more than 100 years later. It’s a beacon for the hiding spot. Also, the family name, Hixon, is key.

Clue 7

The golf course in the city limits dates back to 1900 when the La Crosse Country Club was formed. The club remained at the site until 1994 when it reverted to a public course. The medallion is located in this area.

Clue 8

The Wood Duck Trail that lies along the north side of the course, has signs for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. The merged trail includes the Bicentennial name. It leads to the hiding spot.

Clue 9

A bench along the path is dedicated in memory of Attorney RW (Dick) Schroeder with words from the book of Samuel. Another bench east of this bench memorializes Clarice “Hotsy” Mashak. Stay between these two and you’ll be close to the medallion.

Clue 10

The medallion is located in the “V” of a tree along this path.

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 pm

Final Thoughts:

Not much more to say after a botched hunt. I do want to thank Courtney D. for sending me an email with all 10 clues and their meanings. I have not found those 10 clues and their meanings posted on the Oktoberfest site or on their FACEBOOK page or twitter page.

A Reminder

All you Medallion Hunting lovers, remember that the next $500 Medallion Hunt will be in mid January of 2019, the Winter Rec Fest one ...so come back to the best place in town to discuss the clues...

Return to “Contests/Medallion Hunts”