Moderator: Admin

Dave

Re: $500 Winter Rec-Fest 2019 Medallion Hunt

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Wizm
Rick Solem
January 22, 2019

Winter Rec. Fest medallion still hidden, but it won’t be for long]
Last year, the medallion was found after just three clues. This year, Jared Flick with the city’s parks and rec., said they made the clues shorter, so it would be more of a challenge.

But, Flick did say there is no doubt it will be found, and likely Wednesday or Thursday, because the clues get more obvious.

“As soon as you get to nine, it’s fairly obvious and 10 is like, ‘The medallions is here,’” Flick said.

Despite nobody finding the medallion yet, after eight days, Flick isn’t worried the thing has gone missing.

“I do sporadic checks throughout the week, especially this year with some snow, just to make sure it’s still in the location,” Flick said.

So, if you really want to find the medallion, there’s another way — just stalk Flick for 24 hours.

If someone did that, “they would have a pretty good idea of where it is,” Flick said with a laugh.

Whomever finds it gets $500, which is provided by State Bank in La Crosse.

This is the 34th Winter Rec. Fest and 30th year of the medallion hunt.

The same guy has been writing clues for the medallion hunt for the past 25 years, Flick said.

He did not, however, say who it was, but mentioned you’d likely recognize the name if you heard it.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:54 am

Clue 4, "O give me land. Lots of land"
leads one to this song ---->

https://www.google.com/search?q=don%27t ... e&ie=UTF-8

Don't Fence Me In

by Bing Crosby
Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in
Just turn me loose, let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies
On my Cayuse, let me wander over yonder
Till I see the mountains rise
I want to ride to the ridge where the west commences
And gaze at the moon till I lose my senses
And I can't look at hovels and I can't stand fences
Don't fence me in
Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in
Let me...

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 am

MEDALLION WAS FOUND IN THE AFTERNOON, WEDS JAN 23, '19...more as I learn more.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:23 am

https://www.news8000.com/news/the-winte ... /987238334

By: Deb Brazil

Posted: Jan 23, 2019 02:23 PM CST Updated: Jan 23, 2019 02:28 PM CST

The 2019 La Crosse Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found.
Rick Gardner located the medallion at the Dog Park near Myrick Park. The Snowflake medallion was found attached to a tree near the dog park at the end of East Avenue, just north of Oak Grove Cemetery. Gardner wins $500 for finding the medallion.

The City of La Crosse Parks and Recreation shared the clue meanings: (some clues were written from a dog's perspective)

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://wxow.com/news/top-stories/2019/ ... t-is-over/
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=k4ff-wZ7154

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:51 am

$500 Winter Rec-Fest 2019 Medallion Hunt:
(Medallion found by Rick Gardner after clue 8, at the Dog Park near Myrick Park).

Clue 1 (Weds Jan 16, 2019)
An adventurous location. Yet, restrictions.

Meaning:
A place to run and jump, but still fenced in.

Clue 2:
Where old friends may gather to rekindle old times.

Meaning:
A place for old friend dogs to hook up.

Clue 3:
Traffic slows and traffic stops.

Meaning:
Cars must stop at the East Avenue dead end and must either park or turn back.

Clue 4:
O give me land. Lots of land.

Meaning:
The opening line of "Don't Fence Me In"

Clue 5:
Nary a neighborhood nearby.

Meaning:
Can't see any houses.

Clue 6:
An old-timer and athletes give pause.

Meaning:
Nathan Myrick Drive and nearby UW-L ball field and also, "paws”

Clue 7:
Nestled next to bark, find one tree among many.

Meaning:
Attached to a tree and also, "bark" as in a barking dog.

Clue 8:
An end becomes a beginning.

Meaning:
East Avenue is a dead end that goes directly to a marsh trail.

Clue 9:
Where are you? Max and Bella.

Meaning:
Two of the most popular male and female dog names.

Clue 10:
Headline: Man's Best Friend Points the Way to Snowflake.

Meaning:
Pretty Obvious

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:00 am

Rick Solem

January 23, 2019

Retired nurse finds Winter Rec. Fest medallion for 3rd time … wife “wins” the $500
He had a pretty good idea where the Winter Rec Fest Medallion was but Rick Gardner had some business to take care of first.

Tuesday night, the retired nurse had to take this kids to karate practice.

After dropping them off, though, the Gardner grabbed his flashlight and headed off to the dog park by Myrick, where he had a pretty good feeling
— since he already searched the other two dog parks in town.

“There’s a tree there that looks like it’s falling down,” he said Wednesday afternoon on WIZM. “It was actually stapled on the other side. You couldn’t see it from the inside. I actually went outside the dog park to see it hanging there.”

This is the third time Gardner has found the medallion. Back in 2010, it was a little more difficult, battling the elements.

“(It was) about 30 below outside and I had to go to work about 9 o’clock in the morning and I left about 5:30 to go search,” he said. “My wife thought I was crazy until I called her that I found it.”

She was, of course ecstatic, then, especially because when you’re not the retired one in the family, you get the cash.

“I got a hat, I believe it was, and she got the check,” Gardner joked. “So, yeah, she loved it.”

Gardner also found the medallion in ’13 or ’14 — he couldn’t remember exactly.

It took eight clues this time around.

“As you get closer to finding it, you can go back and start placing those clues into the area you’re looking for and that’s exactly what I did,” he said.

Gardner is an Aquinas, Western Tech and UW-La Crosse graduate. He said he actually has four degrees, but now is a stay-at-home dad for his teenage sons.

He found the 2010 medallion by the Houska boat landing under picnic table and the other year it was in Riverside Park.

Gardner — or his wife, probably — wins $500 for finding the medallion. The money was donated by State Bank in La Crosse, where he will be awarded the check at city hall at 1 p.m. Thursday.

We’re right in the midst of the 35th annual Winter Rec. Fest. This was the 30th year of the medallion hunt and the 20th year having the same person writing the clues, though the city has no intention on exposing who that is.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:33 am

A Reminder

All you Medallion Hunting lovers, remember that the next $500 Medallion Hunt will be in mid September of 2019, the Oktoberfest one.....so come back to the best place in town to discuss the clues...

My final thoughts this time:

I have to give credit, where credit is due...very clever clues from a dog's perspective...

I likely would have won the $500 this time, but I now live in South Dakota about 330 miles away, so I have to depend on someone else looking for the Medallion as I give my opinions as to where it is hidden, clue by clue...

I had 2 people that were going to be my Medallion Hunters...One never contacted me,,,the other person contacted me too late to set up the optimal communication method...

Dave.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:37 am

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT/REQUEST:

I am willing to work together with someone in future Medallion Hunts (Oktoberfest and Winter Rec Fest)

I will no longer post my take here on the forum on each Medallion Hunt clue as the clues are revealed. After the Medallion has been found I may reveal my thinking on each clue.

However, I am willing to work together with someone via email only as the clues are revealed...When we find the Medallion we would split the prize 50 - 50, or perhaps 40 - 60...this can be negotiated before the next Hunt begins in Sept of 2019...when the 2019 Oktoberfest Hunt is set to begin...

Some may ask why this change in my thinking, from past Medallion Hunts, where I was asked to work with several who had actually found the Medallion?...Well, I don't live in the La Crosse area any more, and also I now have Parkinson's Disease, which limits what I can do physically these days...so...a change in my thinking...

I am confident that based on how close I have come to finding that elusive Medallion in past Hunts, my partner and I should find several over the coming years...GO LUCK TO ALL OF YOU WHO WILL BE LOOKING FOR THE MEDALLION IN COMING YEARS !!! MAY THE MEDALLION GODS BE KIND TO US ALL !!!

Return to “Contests/Medallion Hunts”