$500 Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt 2013

Moderator: Admin

Dave

Re: $500 Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt 2013

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm

More on clue 4.

Names that come to mind include Pettibone, Barron, Powell and Losey. Pettibone and Barron seem the most pertinent to the clues thus far, although I haven't been able to find any board member, of any city board who served over 40 years. I'm sure someone who can access that info would be ahead of the rest of us, although newbies have to keep in mind that the early clues should not lead directly to the elusive Medallion, at this time. If they do, the clues were poorly worded. Rather, the accumulation of clues and their meanings and context, is the sign of a good set of clues. But, of course that is usually only realized in hind sight, unfortunately.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Even more thoughts on clue 4.

"A rolling view", could very likely mean a location where you can watch the waves of water roll. Now which side of the olde Mississippi is this referring too? Pettibone seems the more likely spot, although the Medallion has been found at least twice before in Pettibone. Once under the gazebo and once on the beach. Is this 3rd time the charm for Pettibone again?

WisconSarah

Postby WisconSarah » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 pm

I doubt Pettibone... I am thinking northside, just based on clue #1....

I wish I had more time to research but once I start dissecting the clues line by line and making my notes, I am sucked in. :)

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:39 pm

ATTENTION: Warning from the folks running this Medallion Hunt:

http://www.oktoberfestusa.com/Events/PreFest/MedallionHunt.aspx
We continue to receive reports of damage that medallion hunters are causing in and around Riverside Park. Such behavior is the surest route to cancelling the current and future medallion hunts.

Dave

Re: 2013 Oktoberfest $500 Medallion Hunt

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:28 am

Clue #5 — Friday, Sept. 20

He oversaw the platting of an addition totaling one-four-oh,
The foundations of his homes came from the limestone chateau;
Looking north, neglected land became a final resting place of honor,
A lasting tribute to friends, military heros and neighbors of yore.

My take on Clue 5: Couldn't be talking on line 3, about Oak Grove cemetery could we? And who is the clue meister referring to in this clue? History buffs again come to the forefront.

2013 Oktoberfest Home Page

2013 Oktoberfest $500 Medallion Hunt Page/Clues:

summersun

Postby summersun » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Go to the la crosse tribune it said some found medallion. Can please check it out and let us know.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Medallion has been found according to the official Oktoberfest Medallion Hunt site.

The 2013 Oktoberfest Medallion has been found! Details will be announced later today via local news media. Thank you to all our hunters!

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:56 pm

And here is what TV channel 19 website has posted:

http://www.wxow.com/story/23446401/2013/09/16/clues-to-find-the-oktoberfest-medallion
Friday September 20, 2013
LA CROSSE, Wisconsin (WXOW) - The Oktoberfest Medallion has been found.

Oktoberfest officials notified the public that the medallion was found after five clues. They plan to release more information on the successful hunt and unveil the winner at a news conference at 3:00 p.m. this afternoon.

We'll have more details for you then on wxow.com

studnel

Postby studnel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Based on the last few clues with Joseph Losey and William Crowley and what I thought was talk of Lang Drive (not sure), my money is that it was located somewhere around Myrick, UWL ball fields, Roellig Park, Crowley Park (doubtful with Emerson), possibly the Marsh trails or Hixon area. Should be interesting to hear the details.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:56 pm

La Crosse, WI (September 20, 2013)

Willie Bittner of La Crosse correctly put the pieces together and was the first person to locate the 2013 Oktoberfest Medallion. Bittner found the medallion just before 8 a.m. today near the bathrooms on Grandad Bluff needing only five clues.

Thirty-three-year-old Bittner is co-founder of WisCORPS, a non-profit that employs young people for conservation projects across Wisconsin, and has his own business, Great Lakes Trailbuilders.

Bittner has been searching for the medallion each year since returning to the La Crosse area three years ago. He said he was close by when the medallion was found two years ago near a bridge by Wisconsin Highway 16.

Bitter quietly showed the medallion to his hunting partner, Kerry Pischke of La Crosse, not wanting to reveal his find to the twenty or so other searchers nearby in the park.

Searching for the medallion is as much “feel” as it is research, according to Bittner, who reads through all the clues once he arrives at a search location and gauges if the clues “add up” to the surroundings.

While not looking to generate additional competition Bittner says participating in the medallion hunt is a great experience for newcomers to the community and a great way to explore new areas of the city.

The hunt is sponsored by Wipfli, LLP. Ten clues are prepared each year and are revealed one per day at 6 a.m. on the Oktoberfest USA web site, until the medallion is found.

Willie was wearing an official, current-year Oktoberfest button and will collect the entire prize package, which includes $500 cash, two tickets to the Festmaster's Ball, several gift certificates, and a miniature replica medallion, compliments of Satori Arts. Gift certificates have been donated by Downtown Mainstreet. Congratulations Willie. See you at Oktoberfest!

Return to “Contests/Medallion Hunts”